Construction crews are working to repair the south ramp of the Athabasca crossing to ensure the route remains safe and is accessible for larger vehicles. The road will see temporary closures and a reduction in load limits, starting Tuesday, Jan. 25, at 7 a.m. and extending to Friday, Jan. 28.
Temporary closures and load limit adjustments:
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Full road closure from 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Winter road open to light vehicles (5,000 kg limit) from 9 p.m. – 7 a.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- Full road closure from 7 a.m.- 9.pm
- Winter Road open to light vehicles (5,000 kg limit) from 9 p.m.- 7 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 27
- Winter Road fully open with 5,000 kg load limit in place
Friday, Jan. 28
- Winter Road fully open with 35,000 kg load limit resuming at 9 a.m.
The closures will affect daytime travel with the road opening nightly at 9 p.m. to light vehicles (5,000kg).
Traveling on the winter road, when closed, is strictly prohibited and extremely dangerous. Barricades will be in place with no detour around the Athabasca ramp.