The Wood Buffalo Community Foundation is providing nine non-profits funds to help them continue some of their programs and services.
Since 2017, the organization has been building its endowment fund to provide community groups with different grants.
Suncor Energy provided them with a base of one million dollars, which is untouched, with the added income from the investment being used for the donations.
Through the first two waves of funding, the WBCF has donated $200,000 dollars annually, however, Intact Insurance and BrokerLink – through Intact Financial Corporation – donated $100,000 to increase the total for this year.
The organizations receiving the funds include:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Wood Buffalo – Community Focused Mentoring Services
- Habitat for Humanity Wood Buffalo – Energy Efficiency in Affordable Housing
- St. Aidan’s Society – Senior Outreach & Advocate Program
- Waypoints Community Services Association – Family Violence Outreach, Pandemic Supports
- Girls Inc. of Northern Alberta – Reaching SMART
- KidSport Wood Buffalo – Return to Sport
- McMan Youth, Family & Community Services Association – NEAFAN Rural Bus Tickets
- Willow Lake Metis and The Resilience Institute – Stories of Resilience, Bison & Adapting to Climate Change
- Centre of Hope – COH Outreach Mobile Service Unit
The exact totals for each non-profit were not released.