The RMWB is asking other levels of government to help residents affected by the Hillview Park condominium rebuild.
A letter from Mayor Don Scott on behalf of council has been sent to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier Rachel Notley – requesting they review the matter and take supportive action as soon as possible.
Rebuild on the Abasand building has been in limbo for months as the Hillview Park condo board is facing a lawsuit from the previous company hired to reconstruct the complex.
According to an email sent to Mix News, the board approved a new special assessment of more than $3.7 million to cover costs not covered by insurance. This includes paying contractors and sub-contractors.
The property owners are being asked to contribute anywhere between $16,500 to $19,500 by the November 15 deadline or interest will be added if not paid by that date.
This is the third fee the group has been asked to pay following a $30,000 payment to cover a damage assessment and being charged $20,000 for an information meeting.
So far, Minister of Municipal Affairs Shaye Anderson has reached out and is discussing the situation.
Mayor Scott says they will continue to urge those that have legal authority and ability to act to help those that are most in need.
“We recognize some owners of these properties have gone through hardship and difficulty during the rebuild process. We have continually advocated to the Province, the insurance industry and others on residents’ behalf,” said Scott in a release.
Meanwhile, the RMWB is hosting a Here For You session on Thursday from 4-8 p.m. at Shell Place in Ballroom C providing mental health resources and support for those who continue to feel the impacts of rebuilding.