Skip to Content

House Fire In Timberlea Promptly Extinguished By EMS

Fort McMurray, AB, Canada / MIX 103.7
House Fire In Timberlea Promptly Extinguished By EMS

The extreme heat over the weekend was the main cause of a house fire in the Timberlea Area and for the second time in the last year – it’s left one Fort McMurray woman without a home.

Emergency Services responded to the fire on McKinley Crescent on Saturday – and worked quickly to extinguish it.

According to EMS Deputy Chief Brad Grainger – it took approximately three hours to put out.

Grainger tells Mix News they believe the barbecue on the back deck was the source of the blaze.

“The house that received the exposure and the melting was because of the wind direction but no fire actually started at the house. It was just radiant heat that caused it.”

The owner of the home didn’t give her name – but neighbours told Mix News it was her second home lost since the wildfire.

Grainger says that extreme heat caused the barbecue to ignite.

“We believe it was the barbecue that caused it,” Grainger said. “We believe it got a little hot out and the fire went up off it and onto the side of the wall and up to the roof.”

Grainger notes crews had to adjust from an offensive attack to a defensive mode to prevent the blaze from spreading.

“Just trying to get as much water on the fire itself,” Grainger said. “You’re not looking to save anything more at that time because it’s just too dangerous to go inside. Really, the time frame is not that important, it’s more just trying to protect the exposures and make sure nobody gets hurt.”

Although the fire did destroy the home, there were no injuries.

Comments are closed.