Skip to Content

ATCO faces lawsuit over an explosion from last May

Fort McMurray, AB, Canada / MIX 103.7
ATCO faces lawsuit over an explosion from last May

A home on Clenell Crescent lies in ruins on morning of May 17, 2016 // Photo provided on Facebook

A proposed class-action lawsuit is being filed against the natural gas company ATCO, after an explosion rocked the Dickensfield neighborhood, while the RMWB was under evacuation last year.

Higgerty Law, the firm handling the lawsuit, is alleging the explosion was the result of improper restoration of services.

In the claim filed last week, the suit is seeking $10 million in damages.

One of the two plaintiffs in the case, Joshua Somers, whose home was spared by the fire, says the explosion ripped it apart.

“We want to know why ATCO didn’t stop our home from being partially demolished,” Somers says “They have a lot of explaining to do.”

Myke Whalen, the second representative, says he still does not know if or when his home will ever be the same.

“We just want ATCO to understand how devastating this explosion has been,” adds Whalen. “We would like answers and our homes and lives restored.”

A statement released from Managing Director of Pipeline & Liquids for ATCO, George Lidgett, states investigations into the incident continues and ATCO will continue to work with local officials and our customers as details emerge.

Higgerty Law says the suit is seeking to compensate anyone who suffered loss and damages because of the explosion.

Comments are closed.

Latest

More