Skip to Content

Province sets deadline for wildfire temporary housing benefit

Fort McMurray, AB, Canada / MIX 103.7
Province sets deadline for wildfire temporary housing benefit

If you had to pay for temporary housing because of the wildfire, time is running out to receive financial support from the provincial government.

The province has set a deadline of August 2 to apply for the Wildfire Evacuee Transitional Accommodation benefit. WETA was designed shortly after evacuation to assist those with little to no insurance in paying for temporary accommodations. Those who are eligible can receive funding for damage deposits, rent, and utilities connections that were paid for up to 90 days post-evacuation.

To apply, you must have registered your household with the Canadian Red Cross as an evacuee.

The government says they’re also working with the RMWB and Red Cross to gauge the longer-term housing needs of those whose homes have been damaged or destroyed. The survey is being conducted by the Red Cross, with homeowners being contacted directly based on their status. The intent is to assess what is needed for the next two-to-three years.

The RMWB has already indicated to the province that there’s a need for three-bedroom, pet-friendly accommodations for families that can’t return to their own homes yet. An inventory of what’s available in the Fort McMurray market is being compiled to try and meet the demand for temporary housing.

To apply for the WETA benefit, you must attend in-person at any Alberta Works office in the province. Fort McMurray’s Alberta Works office is located in the provincial building at Jubilee Plaza.

Comments are closed.