Over the past two-and-a-half weeks we’ve heard a lot about how the fire continues to grow by thousands of hectares every day. But just how big is 483,084 hectares?
483,084 hectares = 4,830 km²
Compared to Canadian cities:
- 7.7x Toronto – not GTA (630.2 km²)
- 7x the size of Edmonton (684 km²)
- 5.8x Calgary (825 km²)
- 1.7x Greater Vancouver (2,877 km²)
- 1.13x Greater Montreal (4,283 km²)
Compared to world cities:
- 6.1x New York City, USA (789 km²)
- 3.1x Greater London, UK (1,572 km²)
- 2.2x Tokyo, Japan (2,188 km²)
Tokyo is the largest city in the world, and even when incorporating the communities around Montreal the fire is still larger.
In fact, the fire is larger than the world’s 17 smallest countries combined (4,312 km²).
The good news is the fire has burned so much of the forest and vegetation around Fort McMurray, creating natural fire breaks. “The Beast” isn’t expected to grow much over the weekend with rain forecasted along with lower temperatures, but now you have an idea of just how massive it has grown already.