The provincial government isn’t going to extend the two-year insurance claim deadline.
This means anyone who hasn’t settled a claim by May 3 could lose all rights and ability to sue.
Last month, Mayor Don Scott sent a letter to Premier Rachel Notley, Finance Minister Joe Ceci and person responsible for the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance asking for a one-year extension in an effort to help those still dealing with insurance issues nearly two-years after the Horse River wildfire.
Speaking on Fort McMurray Matters, Scott says while there’s no deadline extension, the Superintendent of Insurance is leaning on the insurance companies to do it voluntarily.
“They (the province) have sent a note and it’s a strongly worded direction that all insurers are to put processes in place to consider requests for extensions and make a good faith effort to consider requests for an extension on a case by case basis.”
Scott is encouraging anyone with an outstanding claim to talk to a lawyer about your rights.
Tips To Meet Deadline
Meanwhile, the Insurance Bureau of Canada is giving residents some tips before the deadline comes and goes.
Director, Consumer, and Industry Relations for IBC’s Western Region Rob de Pruis says the first step is talking to your adjuster.
“They’re working very hard and insurance companies are working diligently with policyholders to try to resolve their outstanding issues. Keep an open mind when dealing with your claim and try to work through the issues with your insurance companies.”
He adds people in a dispute can contact IBC to learn more about options they can take, including legal, before the cutoff.
“Some people aren’t back in their home after almost two-years and people are working really hard to get the people back in their home,” added de Pruis.
So far, over 50,000 claims have gone through the process, the majority being resolved.
– with files from Jaryn Vecchio