Contractors who were unable to work at Suncor’s Fort Hills operation will be compensated for lost wages.
This after work stopped at the mine last Wednesday due to unexpected delays in its final commissioning and start-up stages of its Secondary Extractions assets, stranding over 1000 workers on site.
A memo sent on behalf of the Fort Hills site leadership team Monday said they had recognized the potential risks of introducing a heated solvent in the plant and it had always been their intention to restrict all non-essential personnel from the area for a 24-hour period until the activity was completed – but note this took longer than expected.
“Fort Hills will work with the employers of the impacted workers to facilitate payment of the missed wages in a timely manner,” the memo said. “Schedule will never compromise safety – at Fort Hills, safety is above all else.”
Fort Hills’ management says this will reflect daily wages based on a ten-hour shift.
In a statement sent to Mix News on Tuesday, Suncor Spokesperson Erin Rees said as a safety precaution, construction activity on parts of the site was temporarily restricted.
“We know this has been frustrating and so, as the stories mention, we will compensate workers for their lost wages – beyond the initial, planned 24 hour period.”
Suncor owns over a 53 per cent stake in the Fort Hills mine, which is located around 90 kilometers north of Fort McMurray.
In its fourth quarter business update released earlier this month, Suncor said more than 80 per cent of the Fort Hills plant is now operational and the project remains on track to reach 90 per cent capacity by the end of 2018.