FireSmart programs across Alberta are getting extra funding over the next three years.
On Thursday, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry Oneil Carlier was in Fort McMurray to announce the provincial government’s plan to provide $45 million for fire prevention work. The funding will be divided equally over the next few years.
The RMWB will be getting $10.5 million of the funding while the remaining can be applied for by other communities in the province.
“I hope those communities are going to take a keen interest in improving their own FireSmart programs after seeing the tragedy Fort McMurray went through last year,” said Carlier.
Each year, Fort McMurray will get $3.5 million. Last year alone, the GOA only set aside $3.8 million for the entire province.
“We’re going to make sure the resources are there in place,” added Carlier. “Whatever the season holds anywhere in the province, we’ll make sure those resources are there when needed.”
Carlier notes with the added funding and additional month on the wildfire season crews across Alberta will be prepared while having the tools to handle any situation that may rise.
During his announcement, Carlier was also asked about the review being done on the provincial government and their handling of the Horse River Wildfire.
He says he’s had a chance to look over the draft but wouldn’t go into details on what the report found. He notes they expect the final report to be public by the end of Spring.