Just days before the debris removal deadline the Wood Buffalo Recovery Committee received a update on the removal process throughout the municipality.
September 30 was the deadline set for the demolition order. This deadline, of October 31, was for the properties who didn’t meet the original date and is now being done by five contractors hired by the municipality.
Here are the numbers to date:
- Timberlea/ Stone Creek: 18 properties, 90 per cent compete.
- Abasand/ Grayling Terrace: 13 properties, 90 per cent complete.
- Waterways: 35 properties, 90 per cent complete.
- Beacon Hill: 33 properties, 90-95 per cent complete.
- Anzac, Saprae Creek, Airport: 7 properties, 90-95 per cent complete.
Right now, it is believed that five properties won’t make the Oct 31 deadline with asbestos being the main reason.
A decision will also be needed by council to see if the cost of the demolitions will be added to the tax roll.
Right now, the debris fields are the reason why residents in Phase Two of Abasand and Beacon Hill can’t re-occupy their homes. After the debris is gone the municipality will contact the Chief Medical Officer of Health and try and set a date for re-entry for these residents.