Rumours of an outsourced rebuilding effort have been greatly exaggerated according to the province.
The department of economic development and trade said Friday afternoon that of the 532 contracts that have been issued so far for rebuilding and recovery in Fort McMurray, 80% have gone to local employers.
Local employers are classified as those who are either owned in the RMWB or who employ local workers. The province says outside contractors will only be brought in if there are no local employers capable of doing the work.
“It’s frustrating to see misinformation out there,” Economic Development and Trade Minister Deron Bilious said of reports that local companies were being shut out of the process. “The contracting for recovery and cleanup is being led from Fort McMurray by residents of Fort McMurray.”
Mayor Melissa Blake said local companies will be contacted in the coming days and weeks about filling work orders.
Local companies that haven’t done so already are being encouraged to fill out the RMWB offer of assistance form here.